Move from Germany to the US

SMOOVER is your reliable and best value for money choice to move from Germany to the US. We will create a personalized fixed price offer for free. Just enter your moving data here. If you have any questions you can also quickly shoot us a message on WhatsApp here.


USA Urban Area

USA Urban Area

Our services for international moves to the US

When you want to move to the US we offer the following services:

  • Complete move of your household
    • Dismantling/Reassembly of furniture
    • Packing of your belongings
    • Bringing your vehicle
  • Transport of moving boxes

We also take care of all the paperwork. We will guide you through the customs and import regulations for both Germany and the US. Just lay back and have a smooth move.

Detailed information for moving to the US

If you are curious, you can find the breakdown of the latest information (as of 2020) for various items of interest. If possible we suggest to avoid bringing prohibited items. Please be aware that restricted items in the shipment will cause delays and also will incur additional charges. Smoovr will bill these additional charges to the customer.

Dutiable/Restricted Items – careful with these when you move to the US

  • New items (less than one year old), inheritance items, and gifts are dutiable
  • Sales receipts may be required on new items
  • Antiques (Certificate of Authenticity is required)
  • Medicine
    • must be properly identified
    • must not exceed normal quantities required by an individual with a health problem
    • must have either a prescription or written statement from doctor stating that the
    • medicine is required for physical well-being
  • Biological materials of public health or of veterinary importance require an Import Permit

Alcoholic Beverages – better not to bring!

We strongly recommend to not ship alcohol with household goods

  • Certain ports are “Dry Ports” and alcohol cannot be imported at that location; alcohol is not permitted in those states
  • If you bring them, all cartons containing alcoholic beverages should be loaded together, clearly marked on the inventory and be easily accessible for inspection
  • Customer must provide name, quantity, size of bottle, alcohol content , value per bottle, and date purchased
Alcoholic Beverage

Alcoholic Beverage

Prohibited Items – try to avoid these when moving to the US!

  • Liquor filled candy
  • Lottery tickets
  • Narcotics and dangerous drugs (violation will result in severe penalties)
  • Obscene or pornographic material
  • Unlawful or treasonable material
  • Hazardous articles (e.g. fireworks, combustible, corrosive, flammable or explosive items and toxic or poisonous substances)
  • Switch blade knives
  • Pirated books or articles (e.g. cassettes and computer programs) will be confiscated and destroyed
  • Foodstuff is strictly controlled and subject to inspection and confiscation by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
  • Firearms and ammunition (automatic and heavy military weapons are strictly prohibited)
    • Subject to many restrictions
    • Import Permit obtainable and issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (BATF)
    • Proof of ownership
    • Registration, certificates and licenses required and vary according to the type of
    • firearm, the immigration status of the owner, the destination and port of entry
    • If weapon was originally purchased or owned by Customer in the U.S. , proof of sale and date of sale required
  • Animals or plants (e.g. furs, skins, ivory tusks, tortoise shells, wood carvings, etc.) subject to the U.S. Endangered Species Act
Assault Rifle

Assault Rifle

Motor Vehicles – better sell in Germany and buy in the US

  • Automobiles are subject to import duties and taxes
  • Autos previously exported from the U.S. may be imported duty-free provided the customer can supply the export Ocean Bill of Lading and can prove that no modifications have been made to the auto since exporting from the U.S.
  • All automobiles imported must meet both the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the

Department of Transportation (DOT) requirements–If required conversions are not performed in the country of origin, Customer must post a sizable bond (approximately 50% of the value of the auto) in order to have the necessary conversions performed in the U.S.

  • Information on emission standards can be obtained from the EPA
  • All costs for exam, testing or modifications of auto are payable by the Customer
  • Make, model and year of auto must be provided
  • Documents required:
    • EPA Form 3520-1
    • Purchase Invoice
    • Title
    • Copy of Driver’s License (if applicable)

Pets – careful here when moving to the US!

  • There are strict controls, restrictions, and prohibitions on the importation of animals, which is regulated by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service and U.S. Public Health Service
  • Import regulations for pets may include the following, depending on the country of origin:
    • Original Certificate of rabies vaccination showing proof that the vaccination was administered more than 30 days prior to the flight, but not more than 360 days
    • Health Certificate from a veterinarian must be issued within 10 days prior to animals departure
    • Dogs and cats are not normally quarantined, but birds require 30 days quarantine and an Import Permit

If this was a bit complicated, but you still want to move from Germany to the US, just return to our main page and fill out our form.