Move from Germany to California
Book a Smooth move to California
Rough price estimate (Please use Desktop PC)
Our services for international moves to California
When you want to move to the US we offer the following services
A complete white-glove door-to-door move of your household goods with the following (extra) services:
- Dismantling/Reassembly of furniture
- Packing of your belongings
- Proper protection of all furniture and items for the transport
- Bringing your vehicle
- Transport of moving boxes
- Easy contact in case of questions
We take care of the paperwork
We also take care of all the paperwork. We will guide you through the customs and import regulations for both Germany and the US. Just lay back and have a smooth move.
All services will be estimated prior and we will make you a fixed price offer. Completely transparent. You will also get an invoice you can use for a tax deduction or hand to your employer.
Some potential reasons that someone might consider moving from Germany to California could include:
Career opportunities: California is home to many major tech companies and start-ups, as well as a wide range of industries, making it a popular destination for people looking to advance their careers.
Weather: California is known for its mild climate, with warm temperatures year-round in many parts of the state. This can be a significant factor for people who are looking for a change from the colder, wetter weather that is common in Germany.
Cultural attractions: California is home to a diverse and vibrant culture, with a wide range of cultural attractions and activities to explore, from art and music to food and entertainment.
Quality of life: California is known for its high quality of life, with a strong focus on outdoor recreation, healthy living, and environmental sustainability.
The Quickest, Easiest Way To Move
Moving house can be stressful and time-consuming, and choosing a mover you can trust with all your belongings adds to this. That’s why we decided to launch Smoover – to connect you with the most professional moving companies.
Moving house can be complicated and stressful, but our mission is simple – to make your move smooth!
You can get a quote from removal companies that used to take ages – involving long phone calls, tedious inventory lists, and visits to your home.
Accurate Inventory List
We can generate an accurate inventory list without home visits by simply filling out a form or using your smartphone to record all your stuff.
We can pack all your items and even hook you up with a painter or cleaner if you need to leave your apartment in tip-top condition before handing over the keys.
No Parking Zone
We can sort out No Parking Zones (Halteverbots Zone), so the truck can be guaranteed a parking place,
All communication is in English, including contracts and instant messenger chats on the day of the move.
Form details are entirely anonymous, as we never ask for an address until you decide to move.
Frequently Asked Questions
- New items (less than one year old), inheritance items, and gifts are dutiable
- Sales receipts may be required on new items
- Antiques (Certificate of Authenticity is required)
- must be properly identified
- must not exceed normal quantities required by an individual with a health problem
- must have either a prescription or written statement from doctor stating that the
- medicine is required for physical well-being
- Biological materials of public health or of veterinary importance require an Import Permit
We strongly recommend to not ship alcohol with household goods
- FEDERAL, STATE and LOCAL REGULATIONS, DUTIES and TAXES apply
- Certain ports are “Dry Ports” and alcohol cannot be imported at that location; alcohol is not permitted in those states
- If you bring them, all cartons containing alcoholic beverages should be loaded together, clearly marked on the inventory and be easily accessible for inspection
- Customer must provide name, quantity, size of bottle, alcohol content , value per bottle, and date purchased
- Liquor filled candy
- Lottery tickets
- Narcotics and dangerous drugs (violation will result in severe penalties)
- Obscene or pornographic material
- Unlawful or treasonable material
- Hazardous articles (e.g. fireworks, combustible, corrosive, flammable or explosive items and toxic or poisonous substances)
- Switch blade knives
- Pirated books or articles (e.g. cassettes and computer programs) will be confiscated and destroyed
- Foodstuff is strictly controlled and subject to inspection and confiscation by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Firearms and ammunition (automatic and heavy military weapons are strictly prohibited)
- Subject to many restrictions
- Import Permit obtainable and issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (BATF)
- Proof of ownership
- Registration, certificates and licenses required and vary according to the type of
- firearm, the immigration status of the owner, the destination and port of entry
- If weapon was originally purchased or owned by Customer in the U.S. , proof of sale and date of sale required
- Animals or plants (e.g. furs, skins, ivory tusks, tortoise shells, wood carvings, etc.) subject to the U.S. Endangered Species Act
- Automobiles are subject to import duties and taxes
- Autos previously exported from the U.S. may be imported duty-free provided the customer can supply the export Ocean Bill of Lading and can prove that no modifications have been made to the auto since exporting from the U.S.
- All automobiles imported must meet both the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the
Department of Transportation (DOT) requirements–If required conversions are not performed in the country of origin, Customer must post a sizable bond (approximately 50% of the value of the auto) in order to have the necessary conversions performed in the U.S.
- Information on emission standards can be obtained from the EPA
- All costs for exam, testing or modifications of auto are payable by the Customer
- Make, model and year of auto must be provided
- Documents required:
- EPA Form 3520-1
- Purchase Invoice
- Copy of Driver’s License (if applicable)
- There are strict controls, restrictions, and prohibitions on the importation of animals, which is regulated by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service and U.S. Public Health Service
- Import regulations for pets may include the following, depending on the country of origin:
- Original Certificate of rabies vaccination showing proof that the vaccination was administered more than 30 days prior to the flight, but not more than 360 days
- Health Certificate from a veterinarian must be issued within 10 days prior to animals departure
- Dogs and cats are not normally quarantined, but birds require 30 days quarantine and an Import Permit
Ready to move?
If this was a bit complicated, but you still want to move from Germany to the US, just fill out our form and we will get in contact with an offer shortly.