Move to the suburbs in Germany
During the corona-pandemic, we observe a new trend. People are moving from cities to suburban areas in Germany. Wherever, in the past, the opposite was normal. There are multiple explanations for why people move to the suburbs in Germany:
Explanations for this new trend
- Short-term: Covid-19 is a virus that spreads best in densely populated areas, for example, New York.
- Short- to medium-term: Socioeconomic tensions in the cities. As many people are locked-in and whole sectors like travel and entertainment are collapsing some people consider this a powder-keg.
- Medium-term: Work from home. Since March many office workers and their bosses realized that they can deliver their work with similar efficiency from home. Just look at the meteoric rise of the Zoom stock.
- Economic: Prices in cities are still unaffected from this effect. The prices for an apartment outside of the city can be 30% to 50% lower than inside.
- Quality of life: Many young families decide to move to greener areas. Cheaper space means also more space for their children to play.
Already happening in the US
The trend is already fully underway in the US and will most likely continue for the next 18 to 24 months. Hessam Nadji, president and CEO of Marcus & Millichap, who spoke with CNBC on Tuesday said the following:
“I think the next 18 to 24 months are going to show a lot of exodus out of central business districts, as you can expect”
“We’re seeing there’s a lot of office vacancy, for example, in the suburbs that have now been absorbed; there’s a lot of demand for rental homes that we’re seeing because people are fleeing especially hot spots like New York, but … you just have to keep a long-term view on it”
We organize your move to the suburbs in Germany
We at Smoovr already observe this trend similar to the US. Just a bit slower. But before nearly all our moves were booked towards big cities like Munich, Berlin, Hamburg, Frankfurt, and Düsseldorf. But since recently we also get requests to places that I have never heard of! Of course, this is not a problem for us if you want to move to the suburbs in Germany. We can also offer excellent service from the big cities towards more suburban and even rural areas. If you just recently decided to make use of lower apartment prices outside the hotspots and already have your hands full with planning we got your back. Just send us a request either via our form or ping us a message on WhatsApp. We will then do our best to ensure you have a smooth move.